Tender Plant Hoe
Manufacturer Part Number:
Price: $12.15 - $161.30
- Excellent weed killing at shallow depths
- Little soil movement
- Run these early and flat beside crop row
- Run later in season with the nose down to throw a minimal amount of soil into the row
- Knives may also be used on the edges of plastic mulch
- Two slots in side plate of hoe are for 3/8" carriage bolts with bolt centers 1-1/4" to 2" - Hardware included with purchase of Round Shank - 1-1/4"
- Excellent for soil conservation because they will slice through weeds and crop residue without much soil disturbance if run parallel to the ground.
- These weeding knives can be run flat and beside crop early in season to pull soil away from the crop and kill weeds 1-2" deep in the soil. They are excellent for this because they are able to not kill the young tender plants young and can be run through the soil so that they move almost no soil horizontally away from their path.
- Later in the season, the left and right tender plant hoes are reversed and can be run with the nose down 1-3" deep at 2-5MPH to throw a minimal amount of soil into the row. They will effectively sever and bury weeds, encourage crop root growth, and stimulate a deeper aerobic zone in your fields. To do an even better job later in the season with this task use beet/bean hoes. To throw even more soil move to a mid or high crown s-tine sweep run with the nose down.
- These knives work great to weed the edges of plastic mulch but you do not want to run them nose down in this application.
- These are not recommended in wet conditions because they will tend to slab and smear the soil. This will be problem both on the day that you run them and for possibly the rest of the season. On the day you run them in extremely wet conditions you won't be able to get the weeds killed because they will just lift the slab of soil and drop it right back down and the weeds will be transplanted right where they started out. It will be a problem on later cultivations when you try to cultivate the slabs and cannot get a good loose layer of soil to create a dust mulch and stop the capillary action and create a shallow layer where weeds are discouraged from regrowing.
- As with any cultivation system, try to cultivate before weeds emerge for the best success. Also make sure that your basic fertility needs are met and calcium base saturation levels are adequate. Covering these basics will help to reduce weed pressure and allow for easier cultivation, better soil structure, and more vigorous crops. As always try to cultivate when soil moisture is ideal especially on the last cultivation if possible. Scout early and scout often.
|Name||Tender Plant Hoe - 7 x 3/16||Tender Plant Hoe - 9 x 3/16|
|Tilmor Part Number||N/A||N/A|
|Weight||0 lbs.||0 lbs.|
|California Residents||WARNING: Click here for more information on Proposition 65|
|Warranty||Limited 1 year warranty to original owner. Click here for more information.|